Senior Diets: What’s In and What’s Out!
Here are a few “super foods” that are perfect for Senior diets:
- HONEY: This is nature’s probiotic, or good bacteria. It is important for Seniors that are on medications to remove natural gut flora.
- YOGURT: Includes Calcium, Zinc, B Vitamins and is a good source of protein.
- REAL CHEESE: Non-processed cheese is full of Calcium, B12, Phosphorus, and protein.
- BANANAS: This delicious fruit is high in fiber and typically well tolerated, even by those with delicate constitutions.
- APPLES: This fruit can help maintain blood sugar levels and are great for dipping in Peanut or Cashew Butter.
- SALMON/TUNA/ SARDINES: These fish options are low in calories and high in protein. They are heart healthy and help decrease brain cell loss.
- WALNUTS/ALMONDS/ OTHER NUTS: High in Omega 3 and Fatty Acids, they help with inflammation and prevent chronic disease.
- DARK CHOCOLATE: A healthy alternative to other dessert options, chocolate is high in antioxidants and helps neutralize free radicals.
Try to stay away from these: Raw or undercooked foods like eggs or sushi, grapefruit, caffeine, sugary sodas or drinks, alcohol, or anything with empty calories.
Of course, every good diet can benefit from a healthy exercise plan. Try low impact exercises like water aerobics, yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, stretching or balance improvement. Always check with your doctor before you start a new food or exercise regimen.