How Laughter Can Improve Your Health
It’s true that Laughter is the best medicine! There are so many benefits of a good belly laugh, they are almost too many to list. According to helpguide.org here are a few of the health advantages you will enjoy while laughing:
- Relaxation: Laughter relieves tension and stress, leaving muscles relaxed or up to 45 minutes.
- Immune System Boost: Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies.
- Endorphin Release: Endorphins are the body’s feel-good chemicals which promote an overall sense of well-being.
- Heart Protection: Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, protecting you against heart issues.
- Calorie Burning: Laughing for 10-15 minutes daily can burn approximately 40 calories, or 3-4 pounds over the course of a year!
- Anger Diffuser: Lighten anger’s heavy load by sharing a laugh. Put your problems into perspective and release bitterness and resentment.
- Live Longer: A study in Norway found that people with a strong sense of humor outlived those who didn’t laugh as much. This was particularly true of those battling cancer.
So, enjoy a laugh with a friend, or just enjoy yourself reading the funny papers. There’s no better way to start or end your day!